1. Premier Wen Jiabao is very busy because he has ...
1. Premier Wen Jiabao is very busy because he has a lot of international and national ___ to deal with.
A. accidents B. events
C. incidents D. affairs
2. The train met with a terrible ___ and many passengers were injured.
A. thing B. incident
C. accident D. affair
3. The Chinese Revolution， next to the Russian Revolution， is the most important political ___ in history.
A. business B. accident
C. matter D. event
4. To everyone’s great joy， the missing child came back safe and sound ___ a month.
A. after B. later
C. in D. behind
5. — How long ___ was that？
— It’s been nearly six years now.
A. before B. ago
C. later D. ahead
6. The evening ___ ， he played cards with his friends in Mary’s home till midnight.
A. before B. ago
C. forward D. later
7. Look！ There are so many birds flying ___ the beautiful lake.
A. above B. over
C. on D. through
8. The city government has ___ to all the citizens that electricity charges will go up next spring.
A. told B. suggested
C. announced D. talked
9. Jack asked Alice to marry him， and she ___ him， but her mother didn’t ___ her to marry such a poor man as him.
A. accepted； agree B. accepted； allow
C. agreed； permit D. received； allow
1. Surprisingly， they finally succeeded in climbing ___ the high mount with its top covered with snow all the year round.
A. over B. across
C. through D. on
11. On June 12， Bryan Allen flew an airplane ___ the English Channel to France.
A. across B. through
C. from D. above
12. As every one of us knows， Stephen Hawkings is one of the greatest physicists ___ in the world.
A. live B. living
C. alive D. lively
13. Great！ The wonderful basketball match will be ___ broadcast this evening.
A. live B. living
C. alive D. lively
14. — Would you like ___ to eat， Peter？
— It’s very kind of you. ___ is OK. I’m not particular about food.
A. something； Anything B. anything； Everything
C. something； Something D. anything； Something
15. The speaker said that ___ nothing was worth listening to.
A. nearly B. hardly
C. almost D. never
16. Young ___ he was， he learned a lot. ___ ， his family couldn’t afford his college education.
A. as； Though B. though； However
C. although； Yet D. as； But
17. I don’t like this book. Will you please show me ___？
A. another B. other
C. the other D. else
18. I don’t think Alan is such a clever boy ___ his cousin， who acts ___ a guide.
A. like； as B. as； as
C. as； like D. like； like
19. She really feels quite ___ because she didn’t have any friends in the world.
A. alone B. lonely
C. single D. strange
2. Tom has been to Canada. Harry has ___ been there， and me， ___ .
A. also； too B. too； as well
C. also； either D. either； as well
21. You were expected to read ___ the text， not to cry so ___ as to make others feel uncomfortable.
A. loud； aloud B. aloud； loudly
C. loudly； loud D. loudly； aloud
22. ___ those present at the meeting was Mr Brown， our foreign teacher， who had been in our school for five years.
A. Among B. Between
C. In D. Of
23. While I called， Tom was ___ dressed for the important party.
A. yet B. still
C. already D. ever
24. We are ___ by doctors to eat more vegetables and take plenty of physical exercise.
A. suggested B. warned
C. informed D. advised
25. — What time does the plane ___ ？
— At 83 am， I’m sure.
A. reach B. get
C. arrive D. fall
26. Don’t talk about your family ___ at this moment； let’s get down to ___ .
A. business； affairs B. incidents； matters
C. things； events D. affairs； business
27. The letter I had been anxiously expecting ___ me just now.
A. arrived B. received
C. reached D. got to
28. He ___ her apology to show that he had ___ a good education.
A. received； received B. received； accepted
C. accepted； accepted D. accepted； received
29. At least you should ___ the fact that you did ___ a warm welcome from the farm workers at the factory gate.
A. accept； receive B. agree； receive
C. recognize； accept D. receive； offer
3. I think he is one of the best men you have ___ found， isn’t he？
A. never B. ever
C. once D. even
31. I had no idea which of the two ties was better， so I took ___ of them.
A. any B. all
C. neither D. some
32. — Oh， which day can I go to see you next week？
— ___ day is OK except at the weekend.
A. Any B. Either
C. Every D. All
33. I asked her the time， but she didn’t ___ me.
A. reply B. answer
C. give D. respond
34. I was as surprised ___ anyone when they offered me the job.
A. like B. at
C. as D. except
35. ___ the Spring Festival drawing near， people are busier making preparations for it.
A. As B. When
C. While D. With
36. Tom’s work at school is above ___ while Jim’s is below it.
A. normal B. ordinary
C. average D. usual
37. — What’s the ___ temperature of the human body？
— To tell the truth， I have no idea.
A. average B. common
C. usual D. normal
38. While the English teacher explained how to use the expressions， he stood， trying to keep himself awake， for he was ___ .
A. asleep B. sleepy
C. sleeping D. slept
39. That volleyball match is not a recorded TV performance， it is ___ .
A. alive B. live
C. living D. lively
4. The old woman was afraid to be left ___ in the ___ house.
A. lonely； alone B. alone； alone
C. lonely； lonely D. alone； lonely
41. I ___ my father to give up smoking， but he didn’t listen to me.
A. persuaded B. suggested
C. advised D. demanded
42. It was very dirty， but in the end he ___ to clean it.
A. managed B. attempted
C. succeeded D. tried
43. — Did you go to see the play last night？
— Unluckily， I couldn’t ___ it. But I am going to see
A. do B. manage
C. take D. make
44. No one can ___ success without effort.
A. get B. achieve
C. finish D. complete
45. Five years’ Harvard University education gave him a（n） ___ over boys who had not been to a world-famous college.
A. chance B. difference
C. good D. advantage
46. — You know what？ Tom wants to be Harry Potter after
he graduates from school.
— Are you kidding？ He will never ___ a person like
A. make B. turn
C. change D. get
47. The girl ___ to be a good dancer if she is well trained in an art school.
A. expects B. allows
C. wishes D. promises
48. This is an extinct ___ of fish.
A. type B. species
C. sort D. kind
49. The boats in the harbour made a beautiful ___ .
A. sight B. view
C. scene D. scenery
5. Encourage your children to try new things， but try not to ___ them too hard.
A. draw B. strike